11th Annual Foxwoods Open
April 8-12, 2009
Tournament News: GM Darmen Sadvakasov beat GM Yury Shulman in a blitz tie-break to take the title of Foxwoods Open Champion and the hotel room for next year. Sadvakasov ground down IM Alex Lenderman in the final round to force the tie-break after Shulman had drawn with GM Jaan Ehlvest on board 1. Shulman was given the choice of having white and needing to win, or black and draw odds in a 5 minute vs 3 minute (with 5 second delay) Armageddon play-off and he chose the white pieces which were lucky for him last year. Unfortunately for him he was unable to muster up any sort of attack in the game and Sadvakasov easily held the ending, taking the title.
Norm News: IM Robert Hess scored his 3rd and final GM norm after agreeing to a quick draw with Toshuyuk Moruichi in the final round. Hess should be well over the required FIDE 2500 mark on the next rating list and so should receive his title soon. FM Tegshsuren Enkhbat drew with GM Pascal Charbonneau to secure his 3rd and final IM norm after also gaining one at Foxwoods last year. Congratulations to both Robert and Tegshsuren!
Please use the following links to find out the latest information from this year’s Foxwoods Open:
- Tournament Information
- Tournament Standings (All Final)
- News and Reports
- Report 1 – Foxwoods Begins! (Rounds 1 & 2)
- Report 2 – Three of a Kind Beats Aces High (Round 3)
- Report 3 – Shulman Perfect After Five (Rounds 4 & 5)
- Report 4 – The Chase Is On (Round 6)
- Report 5 – Champ on Cruise Control (Round 7)
- Report 6 – Sadvakasov Sneaks Past Shulman (Round 9 and Play-Off)
- Special – Chess Today Annotates Shulman-Shabalov, Round 7
- Games Viewer and PGN File (189 games)