39th World Open
June 28-July 4, 2011, Philadelphia, PA
The 39th Annual World Open was held at the Sheraton Philadelphia City Center Hotel, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA.
Grandmasters Gata Kamsky and Michael Adams won the Open Section with 7/9 with Kamsky claiming the 2011 World Open Champion title by virtue of winning a 5-minute vs 3-minute Armageddon game between the current US & British Champions. Adams, having the better tie-breaks, chose the black pieces, 3-minutes and draw odds but was unable to hold against a determined Kamsky. (See Games Replayer/PGN for game.)
Sharing the lead by half-point going into the final round, both Kamksy and Adams managed to secure quick draws with their opponents, GMs Ilya Smirin and Timur Gareev respectively, to ensure at least a share of first place. This left the door open for GMs Penteala Harikrishna, Giorgi Kacheishvili and Ray Robson to potentially catch them but Robson and Harikrishna drew with each other while Kacheishvili lost to GM Loek Van Wely.
This is the 3rd time Kamsky has been World Open Champion, having won the event in 2006 and 1991. He now joins GM Alex Yermolinsky as the only players to have won the title 3 times.
Final standings for all sections are now posted.
Please use the following links to view more information from the World Open 2011:
- Replay Games/Download PGN
- Final Standings
- Tournament Information: Venue, accommodation, entry fees, prize funds, sections, time controls, etc.
8th Annual Philadelphia International 2011
June 24-28, 2011, Philadelphia, PA
The 8th Annual Philadelphia International was held June 24-28 at the Sheraton Philadelphia City Center Hotel, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA.
The event was won by IM Leonid Gerzhoy from Canada who took home the first place prize of $3,000 after finishing with an impressive score of 8/9, a full point clear of his nearest rival, GM Alex Lenderman.
Please select from one of the following options for more information on the Philadelphia International 2011:
- Final Standings
- Tournament Information: Venue, accommodation, entry fees, prize fund, time control, etc.
World Open 2011 Side & Other Events
As part of the World Open festival, various other events take place from June 24-July 4, 2011.
Please select from one of the following options for more information:
- World Open Senior Amateur (June 24-26, 2011) | Final Standings
- World Open Girls Championship (June 25-26, 2011) | Final Standings
- World Open Under 13 Championship (June 25-26, 2011) | Final Standings (Open & U1200)
- World Open Daily 2pm Blitz Events (June 25-July 4, 2011)
- World Open G/7 Warmup (June 25, 2011) | Final Standings
- World Open G/7 Championship (July 1, 2011) | Final Standings
- World Open G/10 Championship (July 3, 2011) | Final Standings (Open & U1900)
- World Open Blitz Championship (July 4, 2011) | Final Standings (Open & U2000)