42nd World Open
June 30-July 6, 2014
The 42nd Annual World Open was held from June 30-July 6, 2014 at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City, 2799 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, Virginia.
GMs Ilya Smirin, Illia Nyzynyk and Conrad Holt tied for 1st-3rd in the Open Section with 7-2; winning $9,891 each. In order of tiebreaks Ilya Smirin was 1st, Illia Nyzhnyk was 2nd and Conrad Holt was 3rd. The top two on tiebreaks played a special Armageddon blitz playoff, white had 5 minutes, black had 3 minutes and draw odds (a 5-second delay was used). Smirin had the best tiebreaks of the three, chose white, won the game and therefore received the title of 2014 World Open Champion and an additional $254 bonus prize.
Nine norms were earned during the 2014 World Open. Razvan Preotu earned (literally, he played 8 GMs!) a GM norm while IM norms were earned by Sean Nagle, Christopher Gu (3rd), Atulya Shetty, Mike Brattain, Ethan Li, Kevin Wang, Denys Shmelov (3rd) and Kassa Korly (3rd).
Please use the following links to view more information from the World Open 2014:
- Tournament Information: Sections, schedules, entry fees, prize funds, hotel info, etc.
Other World Open Events
Please use the following links to view more information on other events taking place at the World Open site in Arlington, Virginia:
- DC International (June 26-30, 2014)
- World Open Senior Amateur (June 27-29)
- World Open Women’s Championship (June 27-29 or June 28-29, 2014)
- World Open Under 13 Championship (June 28-29, 2014)
- World Open Side Events (June 26-July 6, 2014)